"It can never be forgotten that discrimination is the antithesis of equality and that it is the recognition of equality which will foster the dignity of every individual." - Supreme Court of Canada in Vriend v. Alberta
Allison practices aboriginal and business law with a focus on economic development and the negotiation and settlement of Specific Claims. Allison is the senior managing lawyer of our Vancouver office.
Supporting her clients both as negotiator and legal counsel, Allison is well versed in all aspects of the Specific Claims process, including community ratification, settlement trust development and land acquisition. She recently negotiated and settled a long-standing, complex claim between Canada, BC and several Treaty First Nations involving land, oil and gas valuation, additions to reserve and trust development.
Allison’s litigation experience includes advising clients in all levels of Court in British Columbia, before various regulatory boards and in the Federal Courts and Supreme Court of Canada. She was also counsel on leading cases such as West Moberly First Nations et al v. British Columbia et al (the Western Boundary of Treaty 8) and Moulton Contracting Ltd. v. British Columbia et al.
Allison advises First Nations on complex economic development matters. Recent selected work includes:
• Overseeing a complex corporate restructuring for a First Nation with over 20 corporations, societies, partnerships and related land, business and trust activities
• Advising First Nations on business and asset acquisition and the structuring of both on and off-reserve businesses
• Acting for a First Nation-owned partnership in a commercial real estate purchase of a hotel and related commercial and residential properties
• Advising First Nations limited partnerships on tax, governance, management and corporate compliance
• Advising a First Nation-owned company on environmental remediation and regulatory issues regarding a diesel fuel spill on its property
Allison focuses on developing comprehensive strategies for advising First Nations’ governments and related businesses, which has resulted in over a decade of experience working with a diverse team of specialists from accountants and investment advisers to land use planners and environmental professionals.